Line Breaks Don't Make You A Fantastic Writer

milk and honey - rupi kaur

Didn't take long for me to get sick of the line breaks. Felt like I was reading a collection of tumblr quotes trying really hard to turn a simple thought into something deep. Perhaps I just don't get poetry and this is what poetry is now -- small simple thoughts that happen to cross the mind, but this had to be the most repetitive book I have ever read. Most of the pages don't have more than one sentence and I can't help but think how much wasted space went into this project. Don't waste so much paper for aesthetic purposes. Get your point across first then consider your aesthetics, but the amount of poems that ended vague baffled me. It far out-weighed the amount of strong poems that hit me hard. I can see why this became such a popular book considering the digital era we now live in. People want to relate; they want to be understood, but they don't want to spend more than a minute deciphering a poem. They want something simple. Kaur's poetry is perfect for the reblogging, like-and-subscribe generation.

Though the issues she covered in the book were highly significant, her writing just didn't give them the right punch. It was all surface-level for me. She could have gone deeper. The same reaction I had for her poetry was the same I had for this quote from the Office (if you can't tell by now, I love the Office)...

.... okay?.... What of it? Is there more to that thought?

I mean kudos to Kaur for knowing how to sell poetry.

But dear reader, there are much better poetry books out there for you to read.